Chair Yoga is a gentle form of yoga. It is practiced sitting on a chair or using a chair for support during seated & standing poses. Chair yoga is suitable for a range of abilities. A fit, healthy person can be challenged with a chair yoga class however it can be especially suitable for senior adults, people with balance or coordination issues, and those with disabilities or recovering from injuries.
Chair yoga helps increase flexibility, lung capacity, circulation & strength, improves balance, and relieves stress. A Chair yoga class incorporates breathing exercises, stretching, yoga (asanas) postures, and final relaxation.
- Yamas (behavioural observances – things you SHOULD do)
- Niyamas (behavioural restraints – things you SHOULDN’T do)
- Asana (practice of physical postures)
- Pranayama (practice of breathing techniques to control our life force energy)
- Pratyahara (withdrawal of the senses)
- Dharana (concentration)
- Dhyana (meditation)