NO PRIOR EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!
Our life experiences lead to physical patterns in the body. The cumulative effects of habitual patterning in response to our physical environment and busy social and work schedules mean that many of us have experienced issues such as; A sore neck, tight shoulders, stooped posture, lower back pain, sciatica or other aches and pains that we attribute to aging and can’t seem to find long term relief for. Through the techniques used in Somatic Movements, we will learn how to retrain the brain to eliminate muscle tension and the body’s adapted patterns of operating.
Somatics is suitable for all ages and body types. The movements are slow and gentle. The only requirement being that you can lie comfortably on the floor.
- Week 1: Red Light Patterning (Front shortening / Back lengthening)In this session we will practice movements that address involuntary tightening of the flexor muscles located in the front of the body.
- Week 2: Green Light Patterning (Back shortening / Front lengthening). Those who display Green light patterning are usually triggered by adult responsibilities, coffee, alarm clocks and deadlines! Physically this shows up as involuntary tightening of the extensor muscles located in the back chain. This contraction causes issues such as swayback, lower back issues, chronic pain and fatigue.
- Week 3: Trauma (Side shortening/lengthening). For those of us who have experienced some sort of injury, there is a tendency to hold ourselves in ways so as to avoid further pain.
- Week 4: Rotational PatterningThis is a mixture of weeks 1, 2 and 3. For the spine to rotate the waist muscles need to be involved, as do the abdominals, the para spinals and the muscles in the back. It is the combination of them working together that produces a rotational movement.
- Week 5: WalkingNow that we have an understanding of how to release contractions and access greater range in the body, we begin to explore the mechanics of walking.
- Week 6: BreathingVital to life, the gateway to improved emotional health, decreased levels of stress, improved focus and states of greater relaxation.
A course for all levels. Prepayment of $139.00 is required.
Saturday, 10 April – 15 May 2021 . 03:30 PM – 05:00 PM
- yoga mat
- wear comfy clothes
Chair Yoga is a gentle form of yoga. It is practiced sitting on a chair or using a chair for support during seated & standing poses.
Chair yoga is suitable for a range of abilities. A fit, healthy person can be challenged with a chair yoga class however it can be especially suitable for older adults, people with balance or coordination issues, and those with disabilities.
- Helps increase flexibility, lung capacity, circulation & strength, improves balance, and relieves stress.
- The class incorporates breathing exercises, stretching, yoga (asanas) postures, and final relaxation.
Thursday, 13 May – 3 June. 09:00 AM – 10:00 AM
Whether you’re new to Yoga or a seasoned student with a regular practice, it is always good to get back to basics.
- Sun Salutations A and B also know as Surya Namaska and break down each pose as we work through them systematically.
- Pranayama – the breath and the channeling of the “Life Force” energy
- Breakdown standing, seated, forward and back-bending Asanas (Yoga postures) while discovering the planes of movement in the body including exploring physical and mental balance.
- We will also cover the Bandhas (locks) and Mudras (seals).
- Discover different Meditation techniques
- Learn how to really rest and restore in Savasana
Saturday, 15 May – 5th June 1:30 PM – 2:45 PM
- 1 x yoga mat
- 2 x yoga blocks
- 1 x yoga strap
- 1 x bolster (yoga pillow)
- 1 x light blanket
These items can be purchased through the Yoga Flourish online store, otherwise you can acquire them yourself. Alternatives for items: pillows instead of bolster, scarf instead of strap.